Saturday, July 5, 2008

HHHH Contest #1: How do you spin?

To kick off this Hootenanny (and to distract you while I choose your matches), I want to know how you spin! To enter, post a video of you spinning or plying on flickr, YouTube, Google Video (or whatever video hosting site) and post a link to it in the Ravelry forum for everyone to see.

You are not required to enter, of course, but I thought this was a good idea to document how you spin. It may change over time, especially if you are a beginner. Or it can be a conversation piece among your non-spinning friends. It may encourage other knitters or non-knitters to come to the dark side. So many reasons to do it! :) I just love watching other people spin, you learn so much!

Rules:

1. It needs to be at least 20 seconds long
2. At least part of it needs to be up close enough so we can see your technique
3. Needs to be submitted by July 31, 2008

Bonus points:
Submitting the video is 10 baseline points

1 bonus point if it is outside
5 bonus points if it is in a crowded public area
10 bonus points if there is a crowd around you

1 bonus point if you are wearing a knitting/spinning related clothing (Ravelry t-shirt for example)
2 bonus points if it shows your face
2 bonus points if you incorporate some humor
2 bonus points for fancy editing (and by that I just mean anything other than straight camera footage)
3 bonus points for wearing a handspun item (must be seen in video and made by you)
3 bonus points for flashing your knitting/fiber stash
5 bonus points for more than one person spinning in it (in the same place/room)
5 bonus points if it shows you spinning AND plying
5 bonus points if you show a fancy spinning technique like core spinning or coils or incorporating “other” elements into yarn like beads

Whoever gets the most points wins 4oz. Twisted Fiber Art Lively (sw merino) roving in the Dragonfly colorway. If there is a tie, then I will draw a name. The winner will be announced at the end of the swap.

I hope this isn’t too daunting, I want everyone to have fun with it!

5 comments:

Robin said...

Darn, I don't have a video camera!

bockstark.knits said...

Hi Robin -

Not even a computer one? Or on a digital camera? Maybe someone can loan you one?

Anonymous said...

hoo boy- most of my handspun items are intended for cooler weather- it is so not cool weather right now. Can I endure being warm for the sake of the video?!?!

jeanius said...

ooo i might convince DH to video me... hmm i might earn 15 points LOL

jeanius said...

here is my video! be kind! I think I will make another one now that I am much further along with the coil process...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJyukspg50U